Time period/Founding date:
where religion began: Arabia/Mecca.
Major books of the religion/literature associated with it: The major book of the Islamic religion was called the Qur’an (Koran), and was, ultimately,
an amassed group of revelations received by Muhammad.
doctrines/beliefs/practices and their explanations:
Five Articles of Faith –
1. God: There is /one/ God, and his name is Allah.
2. Angels: Each human (man or woman) has two angels; one records good deeds, while the other records the bad ones.
3. Scripture: The Torah, the Psalms, the Gospel, and the Qur’an are all inspired books, but the Qur’an
is the only one uncorrupted by Jews and Christians.
4. Prophets: The True God has spoken to Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad, but Muhammad is the most
supreme of Allah’s couriers.
5. Last Days: On the last day (the Day of Judgment), those that have followed Allah and Muhammad, will go to Paradise,
while those that do not, will go to Hell.
Five Pillars of Faith –
1. Creed (Kalima): To become a Muslim, this must be stated, “There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad
is the Prophet of Allah.”
2. Prayer (Salat): Five times, per day, must prayer be done towards Mecca (Muhammad’s birthplace).
3. Almsgiving (Zakat): One-fortieth of a Muslim’s income must be given to those that need it.
4. Fasting (Ramadan): Muslims must fast from sunrise, to sundown, which will expand their devotion to God.
5. Pilgrimage (Hajj): Pilgrimage /must/ be paid to Mecca, once in a Muslim’s lifetime.
(Holy War) – Associated with the Five Pillars, Jihad
is a duty that requires men to go to war to defend Islam, or spread it; those killed are promised eternal life, in Paradise.
Al-Quadar – Divine Predestination.